More Dieter-Friendly Foods

Dieter-friendly foods typically share characteristics such as low calories, high fiber, and essential nutrients that support overall health while aiding weight management. I recently blogged about celery, which I call a "dieter's friend". Here are several other foods that can be classified as dieter-friendly, along with the reasons why they are effective for those looking to maintain or lose weight: Leafy Greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard) High in fiber and very low in calories, leafy greens can be added to meals in large quantities without significantly increasing calorie intake. They're also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) Berries are low in calories but high in fiber and nutrients. They also contain natural sugars, which can satisfy sweet cravings without the calorie load of refined sugars. Berries are also permitted on many low-carb diets. Just be careful not to eat too many. A handful as a topping fo

Weird Things I Didn't Know About Supplements


Since going low-carb / keto, I have learned so much about vitamins, minerals and other supplements. In particular I have found that certain things are really essential to my own personal well-being. Things that help me keep my blood sugar under control, and things that address other health concerns that I have.

Please keep in mind that this is simply a place where I record my thoughts and experiences. I am in no way recommending that other people do what I do. I am not a health professional, and I am not able to prescribe anything to anyone, nor can I advise treatments of any kind. I just want to share what has been working for me.

So, if you find something that you think may help you, do seek professional advice, okay? In particular you should be extremely careful if you are pregnant, nursing, or if you take medications of any kind. If you want to know the science behind any of this, Google (or your preferred search engine) can be very useful. Some supplements have known reactions with certain medications like blood thinners, heart medications, blood pressure medications, and others. I always check with Google AND my doctor AND my pharmacist, if I want to know about possible interactions.

Every morning I take a multi-vitamin for women over 50. I supplement that with extra potassium, magnesium, D3 and K2. I have found that if I stop taking these 4 vitamins/minerals, my fasting blood sugar tends to go up, little by little.

Other helpful supplements for keeping my blood sugar in check are: berberine and L-arginine. I also take a compound supplement that includes several different plant extracts: white mulberry, gymnema sylvestre, banaba (queen's crape myrtle), bitter melon, and cinnamon. It also has alpha lipoic acid, chromium, and D-chiro-inositol (DCI).

Yes, taking all of these supplements is rather expensive, but I feel that it's a good investment for my health, as I am doing much better since I began taking them. I have also noticed a difference (negative) when I stop taking them, so I feel that it's logical to conclude that they do indeed help me, in my specific case.

There are other supplements that are known to help with lowering blood sugar (and other benefits for diabetics), but some of them I cannot take because they would interact in a negative way with medications that I take for other health issues.

Having said all of that, here are a few of the "weird" things that I didn't know about supplements and diabetes:

  • If you have a "fatty liver", taking supplements or medications to improve that situation can really help with diabetes related issues. The liver is your number one cleaning organ, so keep it healthy and it can improve lots of other health issues for you.
  • Zinc is involved in insulin storage and release, and some studies show that adequate levels may support insulin function in individuals with diabetes.
  • Omega-3 Fatty Acids may have anti-inflammatory effects and could benefit people with diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity.
  • Vitamin E possesses antioxidant properties that may be beneficial in managing oxidative stress associated with diabetes.
  • Vanadium may have potential in improving insulin sensitivity and glucose control.
  • Ashwagandha may have potential benefits for diabetics by improving insulin sensitivity and lowering blood sugar levels.
  • Panax Ginseng could help manage diabetes by enhancing insulin sensitivity and improving glucose metabolism.
  • Rhodiola Rosea shows promise in improving glucose metabolism and reducing oxidative stress, potentially beneficial for diabetes management.
  • Holy Basil is known for its anti-diabetic properties, and may help regulate blood sugar levels and improve insulin function.
  • Licorice Root has been studied for its potential to improve glycemic control and reduce complications associated with diabetes.
Again, please consult your physician and/or pharmacist before taking any new supplements, to be sure that they don't have a potential for negative interaction with any medications that you take.

The information provided here is not intended as medical advice and should not be considered a substitute for professional healthcare guidance. It is offered for informational purposes only, and individuals should consult with qualified healthcare professionals for personalized advice regarding their health conditions.

Comments

The information provided here is not intended as medical advice and should not be considered a substitute for professional healthcare guidance. It is offered for informational purposes only, and individuals should consult with qualified healthcare professionals for personalized advice regarding their health conditions.