More Dieter-Friendly Foods

Dieter-friendly foods typically share characteristics such as low calories, high fiber, and essential nutrients that support overall health while aiding weight management. I recently blogged about celery, which I call a "dieter's friend". Here are several other foods that can be classified as dieter-friendly, along with the reasons why they are effective for those looking to maintain or lose weight: Leafy Greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard) High in fiber and very low in calories, leafy greens can be added to meals in large quantities without significantly increasing calorie intake. They're also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) Berries are low in calories but high in fiber and nutrients. They also contain natural sugars, which can satisfy sweet cravings without the calorie load of refined sugars. Berries are also permitted on many low-carb diets. Just be careful not to eat too many. A handful as a topping fo

Low Carb Thanksgiving Recipes

 


This was my first year trying to prepare low carb recipes for Thanksgiving. It was quite a success, though I will make some adjustments to certain things, next time.

My family loved everything, especially the stuffing. I modified a keto savory bread recipe that I found. I didn't have all of the ingredients that the original recipe called for, so I substituted a few things. Here is what was left over (hardly anything).


This is a 4 quart casserole dish, which was full. There were only
a few spoonfuls left, when my family got through with it!

The turkey and the vegetables I prepared as per my normal methods, but I did not use any of the instant broths that I have used in years past. Too much salt, which my husband needs to be careful with, and they typically contain monosodium glutamate, which we decided to eliminate from our diet a few months ago.

The stuffing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie were the things that I targeted for reducing the carbohydrate content. I had intended to make mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, but I ran out of time. I'll do that sometime soon and share my recipe.



With regard to gravy, as I mentioned I didn't use any instant broth. I saved the pan drippings from meat that I prepared over the course of a week, and froze it. After I added some hot water to it and strained it, I ended up with just the right amount to make gravy. I tried thickening the gravy with xanthan gum, which is the typical thickener used in keto recipes, but it didn't get as thick as I like. So I ended up adding a tablespoon of cornstarch. Not keto approved, but how many carbs can there be in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch? I decided to go for it, anyway. The gravy was still a little thin, but very tasty.

Comments

The information provided here is not intended as medical advice and should not be considered a substitute for professional healthcare guidance. It is offered for informational purposes only, and individuals should consult with qualified healthcare professionals for personalized advice regarding their health conditions.