More Dieter-Friendly Foods

Dieter-friendly foods typically share characteristics such as low calories, high fiber, and essential nutrients that support overall health while aiding weight management. I recently blogged about celery, which I call a "dieter's friend". Here are several other foods that can be classified as dieter-friendly, along with the reasons why they are effective for those looking to maintain or lose weight: Leafy Greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard) High in fiber and very low in calories, leafy greens can be added to meals in large quantities without significantly increasing calorie intake. They're also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) Berries are low in calories but high in fiber and nutrients. They also contain natural sugars, which can satisfy sweet cravings without the calorie load of refined sugars. Berries are also permitted on many low-carb diets. Just be careful not to eat too many. A handful as a topping fo

Calculating My Macros for Keto

The information provided here is not intended as medical advice and should not be considered a substitute
for professional healthcare guidance. It is offered for informational purposes only, and you should
consult with qualified healthcare professionals for personalized advice regarding your health conditions.


I've been stuck on a weight-loss plateau for a few months, now. I decided to start tracking my macros (calories, fat, protein & carbs), because I haven't been doing that for quite some time, and I think that is the reason I stopped losing weight. I'm sure I've been eating more calories than I should, and I am fairly certain that the ratio of fat/protein/carbs is not what it should be.

I aim to consume approximately 109 grams of fat, 87 grams of protein, and 18 grams of net carbs per day to meet my target intake of 1400 calories.

Another thing that I've decided is to try to eat only from 8 am to 6 pm. That is a 10 hour period in which I will eat. Eventually, I would like to cut that back to 8 hours. This will not be easy, because I have been accustomed to eating breakfast at 7 am, lunch at 1 pm, and dinner at 8 pm. However, my desire to achieve my ideal weight is very strong, and I plan to work very hard on a daily basis to convince myself that eating outside of an 8 hour window is not conducive to losing weight.

Here is a list of foods that can help me get to my targets:

Fats:

Avocado
Olive oil
Coconut oil
Butter or ghee
Nuts and seeds (such as almonds, walnuts, chia seeds)
Fatty fish (such as salmon, mackerel, sardines)
Cheese (such as cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese)

Proteins:

Chicken (skin-on for more fat content)
Beef (preferably fattier cuts like ribeye or ground beef)
Pork (bacon, pork chops)
Eggs (especially egg yolks)
Turkey
Fish (salmon, tuna)

Carbohydrates (low-carb options):

Leafy greens (spinach, kale, lettuce)
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Zucchini
Asparagus
Bell peppers

I am a diabetic, so I avoid fruits, grains and cereals.

Individual food items might not perfectly match the the fat/protein/carbohydrate (FPC) ratios that I am looking for, but by combining different foods throughout the day, I can achieve the desired balance. 

I find that tracking my macros using a tool or app can help me make sure that I'm staying within my target ranges. Right now I'm now using an app called Carb Manager, which is free. It allows me to set my own target macros, which is great. A lot of apps make you pay Premium for that feature.

If you are thinking about doing keto, here are a few additional points that you'll want to consider:

1. Hydration: Adequate hydration is crucial, especially on a ketogenic diet, as your body tends to excrete more water and electrolytes. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and consider supplementing with electrolytes if needed.

2. Quality of Food: While meeting your macronutrient targets is important, focus on consuming whole, nutrient-dense foods rather than processed ones. This will ensure that you're getting a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients.

3. Fiber Intake: Pay attention to your fiber intake, especially since you're limiting carbohydrates. Aim to include fibrous vegetables and other sources of fiber in your diet to support digestive health.

4. Individual Variation: Remember that everyone's body responds differently to dietary changes. It's essential to listen to your body and adjust your diet as needed based on how you feel and any changes in your health or energy levels.

5. Consult a Healthcare Professional: If you have any underlying health conditions or concerns, or if you're making significant changes to your diet, it's a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian who can provide personalized guidance and support.

By paying attention to these additional factors and staying mindful of your overall health and well-being, you can optimize your ketogenic diet experience and work towards achieving your goals effectively.

Comments

The information provided here is not intended as medical advice and should not be considered a substitute for professional healthcare guidance. It is offered for informational purposes only, and individuals should consult with qualified healthcare professionals for personalized advice regarding their health conditions.